Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Old 03-20-2019, 08:07

Default Re: Firehouse Magazine- OCFA 48/96 report.

In graduate school thesis projects/papers are developed through the classes taken each semester. Class by class each semester teaches you not only how to build your paper or project but also teaches you the rules or academic research. You may not know that or be told that but that is the process which may only become known towards the start of your last semester.

One of those graduate school rules requires you to conduct tons of research to confirm your original idea (thesis) or change it if the data does not support the original contention. Another timely rule as related but to the OCFA EFO situation is that your focus group (the people who you provide survey questions too) be of a significant number. Your grad school thesis advisor should square you away in the formation of your project if you don't have a satisfactory number in the focus or test group. This is an ethical concern to help give your end product thesis project credibility.

If you try to pull a fast here and put something over on your advisor, and you do sneak it by, the group you present you thesis project to (thesis defense) will fail you in a heart beat and you will not graduate. I had a grad school cohort have to spend two additional years (of a two year program) conducting surveys in order to graduate.

This is one of the big reasons I am not a fan of EFO graduates.

If you didn't know, the NFA EFO program is two weeks of class each year for four years and the final is a thesis project paper just like the OCFA anti-48/96 paper. You go back home after the last two week class and write your thesis. The EFO is not connected to any university, doesn't offer class credits towards any degree. If it did so, it wouldn't be worth much more than 2 semester units. My nose isn't up in the air here but so much for the credibility of an EFO cert.
Old 03-20-2019, 14:16

Tom, do you think these EFO candidates are recycling their previous college papers for the NPA course submission?
Old 03-20-2019, 16:05

Default Re: Firehouse Magazine- OCFA 48/96 report.

It is a distinct possibility but I do not know for sure.

In college you are distinctly warned about recycling term papers and other such projects. You have to expressly ask your instructor, and get permission, to use past papers. If you don't do this, and you get busted for it, you risk academic probation/suspension up to getting expelled. In which case you can say good bye to all those credits and bucks you've spent on tuition, books and materials. (Pssssssst! Those instructors all talk to each other and you eventfully have to take another class that they teach!)

I had a cohort who staged a coup to take over a group project. When our group leader took two week break to attend professional training out of state, the dictator had then ignored all the group's work to date, inserted his project from a past class and assigned the rest of the group work. The professor was notified. The dictator was dealt with by the department dean and was being threatened with expulsion should he ever try any further funny business in the rest of his academic career.

I should tell you that the dictator claimed to have been the Air Boss in a complex fire without ever having been a firefighter. I followed up that claim by speaking with the incident commander. The IC never heard of the dictator. I reported this to my instructor and the dictator's contribution to the group project was disallowed by the professor.