Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > SECONDARY SECTION > IN MEMORY OF CALIFORNIA'S FALLEN

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 00:04

Default B/C Gary Helming, U.S. Forest Service, Los Padres National Forest

Firefighter killed in crash while returning home from Sierra fire
Posted: Aug 31, 2017 6:05 PM PST
Updated: Aug 31, 2017 6:55 PM PST
By KSBY Staff

Officials with the Los Padres National Forest announced Thursday that Santa Lucia District Battalion Chief Gary Helming was killed in a crash while returning home from the Railroad Fire in the Sierra National Forest.

The crash happened just before 8:30 a.m. on Highway 41, south of Highway 33 in Kings County.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the 47-year-old died when his vehicle was hit head-on by another car that blew a tire. The driver of the other vehicle suffered major injuries and was taken by helicopter to a local hospital.

Helming reportedly lived in Shell Beach and was stationed in Santa Maria.

He began his career with the Forest Service 22 years ago. He is survived by a wife and three children.

http://www.ksby.com/story/36267108/f...om-sierra-fire
My comments are my personal opinion, based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice as I am not an attorney and if you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!
Old 09-02-2017, 00:08

Default Re: B/C Gary Helming, U.S. Forest Service, Los Padres National Forest

Memorial service set to honor local fallen firefighter
Posted: Sep 01, 2017 9:34 AM PST
Updated: Sep 01, 2017 6:29 PM PST
By KSBY Staff

A memorial service for U.S. Forest Service Battalion Chief Gary Helming is planned for next week.

The Los Padres National Forest announced the service is set for 10 a.m. Wednesday, September 6, at Pacific Christian Church in Santa Maria. The service will be open to the public.

Flags at the California Capitol are being flown at half-staff Friday in honor of the local firefighter, who was killed in a crash Thursday.

Governor Jerry Brown issued a statement regarding the death of Los Padres National Forest Santa Lucia District Battalion Chief Gary Helming.

It reads, "Anne and I were saddened to learn of the death of Chief Helming, a veteran firefighter who bravely served for more than 20 years. We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends and colleagues with the U.S. Forest Service."

Helming, 47, a husband and father of three, died while returning home to the Five Cities area from the Railroad Fire, which is burning near Yosemite National Park.

He was stationed in Santa Maria and began his career with the Forest Service 22 years ago.

The Morro Bay fire department has also lowered its flag in honor of Helming.

Morro Bay personnel recently worked with Helming on the Hill Fire near Santa Margarita, officials say.

The City wrote in a Facebook post Friday, "Gary's gentle soul, consistent leadership, and partnerships in our county and statewide will be missed."

http://www.ksby.com/story/36271950/m...en-firefighter
My comments are my personal opinion, based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice as I am not an attorney and if you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!