Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 13:42

Question Kelly 4/6

Has anyone ever switched from Kelly 4/6 to 48/96 ?
Old 10-12-2016, 15:01
Rapid Cool

Default Re: Kelly 4/6

San Bernardino County did. Hope SheepDog comes in and answers.
Old 10-12-2016, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Cool View Post
San Bernardino County did. Hope SheepDog comes in and answers.
We have in the South desert division as well as in baker and needles as a trial at this time. I see it as a way incentive to have people stay out there. A lot of our members end up doing 4 on 8 off with trades.
Old 10-12-2016, 17:52

SBCoFD has ran the 4/6 kelly for a looooong time and I feel it will be the schedule most of the metro areas stay on. Needles and Baker (as well as Big River / harvard when it was staffed) have always been on the 48/96 due to commute. The South Desert Division is on a 1 year trial of the 48/96 and I predict it will stay, the division while being fun to work in has always suffered retention problems due to the horrible commute on the kelly for most members. The subject of 48/96 always brings up spirited debates and heartburn for some as many years back the whole department a trial and it was voted to upon to return to the 4/6. In departments with minimal ot the 48/96 is great, SBCoFD is not that department right now.
Old 10-12-2016, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSheepDog View Post
SBCoFD has ran the 4/6 kelly for a looooong time and I feel it will be the schedule most of the metro areas stay on. Needles and Baker (as well as Big River / harvard when it was staffed) have always been on the 48/96 due to commute. The South Desert Division is on a 1 year trial of the 48/96 and I predict it will stay, the division while being fun to work in has always suffered retention problems due to the horrible commute on the kelly for most members. The subject of 48/96 always brings up spirited debates and heartburn for some as many years back the whole department a trial and it was voted to upon to return to the 4/6. In departments with minimal ot the 48/96 is great, SBCoFD is not that department right now.
Excellent report there Sheepdog!

I'm thinking that it would be a good idea for the County to purchase a few homes near those stations and rent them out( a la perk/sweeten the deal) to the assigned firefighters for the duration of their assignment.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:11

Send a message via AIM to FireFightinIrish

We did, love it. The kelly blows
Old 10-26-2016, 17:17

I started on a dept that had the Kelly 4/6 and now I am on a dept that runs a 48/96. I like the 48/96; yeah the Kelly is nice in that you get to go home every other night and the 6 days off are nice too buuuuut if you work at a busy, night house on the Kelly, you can get crushed then have to go home, try to rest, the repeat the next day. I'll take getting crushed for 2 days then getting the 4 off to recover. Also as stated above, cuts down on the commute
Old 10-28-2016, 19:34

As long as youre not on the Oakland schedule of 1/2. But they are so busy that you go home the 1st day off just to recover and the next day is to get stuff done.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17

^ that's Our schedule out here. And that's how it feels. Even worse if it is a ambulance day for you.
Only thing that is good about it is if you have a shift off, then you're off 5.
Old 10-31-2016, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrunner303 View Post
As long as youre not on the Oakland schedule of 1/2. But they are so busy that you go home the 1st day off just to recover and the next day is to get stuff done.
Oakland is voting to go to 48/96 for 1yr trial