Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Old 04-13-2018, 18:52

Lightbulb San Bernardino County Fire Work Schedule change

Brothers,

San Bernardino County Fire has adopted a new trial schedule for one year. This schedule was voted upon overwhelmingly by the membership and will be up for permanent vote this year versus the old kelly 4/4/6. Here is the new schedule http://www.local935fire.org/items/Di...262%202018.pdf

As you can see it is the LACoFD schedule doubled up, 2 on 2 off, 2 on, 4 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 8 off. It's about a month into the trial schedule so its still new and too early to determine if its the right fit. Any thoughts? The 48/96 has a lot of popularity but this is a new and never tested variant of working 48s.
Old 04-13-2018, 19:09

Default Re: San Bernardino County Fire Schedule

8 off wow! How many duty days a year do they end up with?
Old 04-13-2018, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Nez View Post
8 off wow! How many duty days a year do they end up with?
The same as any three platoon schedule....
Old 04-13-2018, 20:18

Both management and rank-and-file should consider those two twenty fours as one shift instead of two shifts in a row.

To be sure both days in a row on duty in the station need chores to keep the place neat and tidy but there is no need to perform the exact same routine, to the T, each day.

Instead of thinking you have to do the very same things each 24, trying thinking that you have 48 to get things done. This is must for those stations that are running back-to-back calls and then need down time for the second shift built into the back half of the 48.

Trying to do a 48 and doing it with a 24 mind set each day will kick your firefighter ass.

I've been there, done that, got the hat, got the t shirt too along with assorted merit badges for getting my ass kicked.
Old 04-13-2018, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdz View Post
Both management and rank-and-file should consider those two twenty fours as one shift instead of two shifts in a row.

To be sure both days in a row on duty in the station need chores to keep the place neat and tidy but there is no need to perform the exact same routine, to the T, each day.

Instead of thinking you have to do the very same things each 24, trying thinking that you have 48 to get things done. This is must for those stations that are running back-to-back calls and then need down time for the second shift built into the back half of the 48.

Trying to do a 48 and doing it with a 24 mind set each day will kick your firefighter ass.

I've been there, done that, got the hat, got the t shirt too along with assorted merit badges for getting my ass kicked.
As someone whose done both.... 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Old 04-13-2018, 21:01

Doesn't Kern County have a similar schedule?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1988 View Post
Doesn't Kern County have a similar schedule?
Itís a doubled kelly 3/4
Old 04-14-2018, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdz View Post

Well said.
Old 04-16-2018, 23:51

My take on this is a few things below....

- I still like the 48/96 over all, but know that San Bern Co. tried this at their busy stations in the past and it didnt work with the high call load. They had to go back to the 4/4/6 schedule. The "corridor stations" are still on the 48/96 though and those guys are shift trading and doing 4 on and 8 off as well. Heck, work in Baker and live in Vegas?

- I dont care much for the old 3/4 Kelly/Berkeley/Detroit schedule (24 hour shifts) as youre back and forth from home to work for the 3 days, BUT it works nice for the OT whores to just drop in an OT make make it a 72. I once did a 120 on the Kelly and they were slow shifts and I was still kind of loopy by the 5th day. I know Kern County did the 3/4 doubled up and they like it and love the once a month 8 day.

-The LACo schedule doubled up seems odd to me. Why go that route as I am sure the guys were eye balling that 8 day for the family vacations, etc. I think that fourth 48 hour shift is going to be the killer, thats why I rather go with the Kern Co and still get the 8 day without that fourth 48 hour killer shift.

- I still rather do the 48/96 and get the 4 day every week. If I want a long vacation, just burn 48 for a 10 day or shift trade. I assume the point of this chnage was to get the 8 days a month for family vacations and save the vacation leave.

Sheepdog, why didnt you guys just go 48/96 again? Was it because you wanted the 8 day for vacations?
Old 10-31-2018, 13:51
Super Moderator

Default Re: San Bernardino County Fire Work Schedule change

Thread moved.
- OUR DISCLAIMER- The views and opinions posted on this website are solely those of the original authors, news source or registered members. These views and opinions do not represent those of Californiafirefighter.com (CAFF.com), Admin, their advertisers or any associated companies or vendors.
- OUR EMAIL- californiafirefighter@hotmail.com