Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > CAREER PREP- Entry Level hiring and testing

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 14:38

Default Re: The Mother of all Tests- LA County FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE/PARAMEDIC 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoguen View Post
Iíve heard itís 20 weeks with 4 weeks being EMT. 6-8 weeks seems weird especially since they donít require a FF1.
They will be supplementing the EMT portion with paramedics skills and assessments.The website with the FAQ's addresses about 30 questions regarding the academy, requirements, testing, etc. This is the first time they will be testing a FF/PM exam (per their flyer), so I'm unsure they have an exact timeline set. Furthermore, this can always be changed or delayed as needed.

Last thing to consider is many out of state applicants will be applying. Have a few FF/PM's in Arizona who will be testing. Different type of firefighting, paramedicine, and SOP's. It's logical to say a well trained academy is in store for everyone. Many departments perform a "mini-academy" lasting 4-6 weeks for lateral or trained personnel. But these academies are 4-10 people. This is a large scale academy and will certainly need more than 6-8 weeks, IMO.
Old 01-05-2019, 14:49

Default Re: The Mother of all Tests- LA County FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE/PARAMEDIC 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYR MDC View Post
They will be supplementing the EMT portion with paramedics skills and assessments.The website with the FAQ's addresses about 30 questions regarding the academy, requirements, testing, etc. This is the first time they will be testing a FF/PM exam (per their flyer), so I'm unsure they have an exact timeline set. Furthermore, this can always be changed or delayed as needed.

Last thing to consider is many out of state applicants will be applying. Have a few FF/PM's in Arizona who will be testing. Different type of firefighting, paramedicine, and SOP's. It's logical to say a well trained academy is in store for everyone. Many departments perform a "mini-academy" lasting 4-6 weeks for lateral or trained personnel. But these academies are 4-10 people. This is a large scale academy and will certainly need more than 6-8 weeks, IMO.
I definitely agree that it will require more time than 6-8 weeks. I keep seeing individuals posting about out of state applicants. According to the job posting you need a California state medic license. Of course people who have that (I.e. in Arizona etc.) qualify. Iíd be interested to see how many apply that donít meet the specific stated job description.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoguen View Post
I definitely agree that it will require more time than 6-8 weeks. I keep seeing individuals posting about out of state applicants. According to the job posting you need a California state medic license. Of course people who have that (I.e. in Arizona etc.) qualify. Iíd be interested to see how many apply that donít meet the specific stated job description.
The Blue card wasn't difficult to get. Just FYI to those needing it from out of state.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delson View Post
The Blue card wasn't difficult to get. Just FYI to those needing it from out of state.
Glad to hear that. It seems like it takes forever to receive when you recert.
Old 01-06-2019, 15:11

Turned my recert into the state by hand a couple days ago. They said the card will take 3 weeks to come in mail. But it should update on there website sooner. So Iíd check that and try to let LACo know
Old 01-06-2019, 20:12

Awesome opportunity here, makes me wish I had a cal medic card, all I have is my national.
Old 01-06-2019, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Turned my recert into the state by hand a couple days ago. They said the card will take 3 weeks to come in mail. But it should update on there website sooner. So Iíd check that and try to let LACo know
I got mine back but itís crazy how long itís been taking coworkers. 6-8 weeks.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:10

In. Good luck all
Old 01-07-2019, 10:25

Good luck to everyone.
Old 01-07-2019, 16:24

Kinda shocked that itís still open.