Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > SECONDARY SECTION > THE KITCHEN

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 21:27

Default Re: Can you cook?

Idk if anyone has stated this but at my station we make whats called "COBALTES" pronounced "cobalts" pretty much a loaded BLT, so Cheese, grilled Onions, Bacon, Avocado, Lettuce, Tomato, and a fried Egg. simple easy lunch that goes well with kettle cooked chips. Boom.
Old 03-02-2017, 21:35

Damn that sounds good. I'm stealing that idea.
Old 08-27-2017, 18:00

Shrimp Paella
Old 08-27-2017, 19:31

Nah nah nah nah. You can't just post a picture of a tasty dish OF shrimp and rice and get away with that!

GIMMIE THE INGREDIENTS AND DIRECTIONS YOU FOOD PHILISTINE!
Old 08-28-2017, 14:41

Minute made Spanish rice and frozen shrimp..... Haha

Looks good
Old 09-02-2017, 18:52

Anyone have tips on passing probation if you don't eat meat? I won't eat it but I'll cook it for everyone else. Not sure if you have to eat everything the station eats on probation or not?
Old 09-02-2017, 18:59

Nobody can force you to eat anything. Just say, "I don't eat meat for [insert reason here] but I'm happy to help with station dinner". Then bring your own food. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.
Old 09-02-2017, 19:35

Right on. Thanks neeb. Just didn't know if most departments would allow you to eat your own food at dinner.
Old 09-03-2017, 14:10

They may still ask you to pay in for meals. But when you cook you can cook more vegetables and what not. I know a full time cook that is vegan at a station, does it with no problem. He is vegan and fasts 16+ hours a day too. People made some joking comments but it's all in good fun.
Old 09-12-2017, 16:49

So I let the guys at work pitch ideas for things they would like for me to cook or bake. One of the guys suggested a cake that was a favorite of his and I told him I would work it out. I swear that man stalked me for weeks about when I would make the cake. It was killing him. He was even all up in my Facebook demanding cake. (See above. LOL) I figured that this cake *must* be good if he's that up in arms over it.

So here it is. It's called "Better Than Sex" cake due to it's abundance of devil's food cake soaked through with caramel sauce, hot fudge sauce, sweetened condensed milk, and toffee chips. The cake is then topped with fresh whipped cream, caramel and chocolate sauce drizzles and more toffee chips.

If you want to try it, the basic recipe here: https://www.cocoandash.com/better-than-sex-cake-2/

I usually take a recipe and a Bad Kitty it up a little. So, for this one I poured extra hot fudge sauce to soak into the cake along with the caramel and sweetened condensed milk. Also, I used real whipped cream that I whipped myself instead of the fake fluff called Cool Whip.

The cake is suuuuuper sweet. I probably shouldn't have added the hot fudge on the cake; so, that might cut down on the sugar coma. Also definitely make this the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. It's WAY better the second day. One of the guys liked it so much that he said he would pay me to make this again for his wife's 50th birthday party later this month.

It's really easy to make and, apparently, impressive. This might be a good one for a probie to make!