Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > SECONDARY SECTION > FIREFIGHTER PTSD, JOB STRESS and MENTAL HEALTH

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 06:47

Default Process of Appeals for Medical/Psych Eval

Hey ladies and gents,
I am going through an appeal process for a SoCal fire department because I was DQ'd from psych. I have already gotten a second opinion seemingly ruling in my favor but was wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that has had their appeal granted and initial ruling overturned? I have searched all over and cannot find information on how long appeals take nor what to expect from here on out after the report is turned in and was hoping for someone to provide some insight. Any possible feedback can potentially help (hopefully I placed this thread in the right section, if not, my apologies.) Thanks!

Last edited by thad_ee_uhs; 11-11-2017 at 20:54.
Old 11-09-2017, 17:20

Default Re: Process of Appeals for Medical/Psych Eval

Hope someone can chime in and help. I've always been curious about if someone ever was in the situation you are in and what they can do.

I dont think this section of the forum gets much traffic unfortunately
Old 11-09-2017, 17:58

Anybody know what happens if you have a hernia?
Old 11-09-2017, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG166 View Post
got to get it fixed knew a guy who made it to medicals and got DQ for a hernia he didn't know he had.
Old 11-09-2017, 18:59

Quote:
They can defer you till you get it fixed, at least that’s what thI front desk lady told me if anything had came up
Old 11-09-2017, 20:06

Pretty derned tough to get a negative psych overturned. In fact, I never heard of this ever happening. If the hiring agency doesn't want you, they don't want you. Pretty much a final decision here psych wise. But don't let this slow you down in your hunt for the badge.

Same thing happened to me when I first started out chasing a badge. Turned out that the hiring agency was processing a few more people than they intended to hire.

Remember that the psych evaluator (MD or other) gets paid to check out what is inside your head. If they don't find something questionable after processing the heard they don't get to keep getting that paycheck from the agency that hired them to check you out.

As for the hernia, get it fixed ASAP so you can get to healing ASAP. Final decision to pass or fail you on the medical is up to you and the doctor the agency has doing your medical.

Get all the medical paperwork you can from the surgeon who does the hernia repair work. Let him/her know that you want to be a firefighter so he can state that you are as good as new if you are. Hand copies of that paper work (DOCUMENTATION) over to the agency doctor doing your medical when, and if, the subject comes up and the doc has a problem. Have the paperwork ready to go and up your sleeve, so to speak, but don't play that DOCUMENTATION card unless needed.

Bottom line for all physicians involved is that they must be convinced professionally that you can do the job. DOCUMENTATION helps with that. Did I mention that DOCUMENTATION is the key?

Of course, you may run into a hiring agency/fire department that won't touch you just because you've had any surgery regardless of a positive outcome but that's rare.
Old 11-09-2017, 22:04

Had 2 hernia surgeries and hired by two agencies. Just get it fixed !
Old 11-09-2017, 23:27

Tom, I have meds scheduled next month and I'm getting this pain in my gut looked at on Monday. If it comes up positive should I cancel medical all together or call and inform them?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:21

Quote:
Tom, I have meds scheduled next month and I'm getting this pain in my gut looked at on Monday. If it comes up positive should I cancel medical all together or call and inform them?
Hold the phone! Don't cancel just yet. Get the dope from your doctor first before going in any direction.

You first need a DX on just what the problem is, then a prognosis/course of treatment. It could be as simple as you are eating too many of those habanero special burritos from Tommy's Taco Take-Out or you might have a gall stone rattling around. You just don't know at the moment so hold off on decisions until you get together with your doc. Make your decision from there.
Old 11-10-2017, 14:06

I would consult with a lawyer to properly maneuver through this.