Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > UPCOMING EVENTS and TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES > UPCOMING EVENTS and TRAINING OPPORTUNIES

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 16:40

Default Swiftwater Awareness ONLINE Course.

The Swiftwater Rescue Awareness level course is a first step for people to learn the dangers of working around moving water in floods and swiftwater rescues. This course is aimed at fire fighters, paramedics, helicopter crews and law enforcement agencies, people who have no experience in the moving water environment and require safety training.

Certified by Specialized Fire and Rescue Inc. to NFPA standards.

This 4-6 hour safety course is designed to prevent rescuer fatalities. Explaining the minimum personal protective equipment required before going near the water and instilling a respect of the power of moving water in would be rescuers. It also introduces procedures to follow in the case of wide spread flooding. This course is classroom based and as such after completing this course students are not considered rescuers even under the supervision of a Swiftwater Rescue Technician Level trained rescuer.

http://specialized-rescue.com/rescue-university

Once completed your certificate is available for download.

www.specialized-rescue.com
Old 07-04-2013, 20:34

Sweet , thank you for the info. Will sign up norcalcapt

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 12-03-2015, 11:02

Default Re: Swiftwater Awareness ONLINE Course.

This is perfect! With the drought, our FF1 academy didn't get to do Swift Water training.
Old 02-11-2016, 15:39

Its actually a pretty good online course for the awareness level...good basic information.
Old 02-11-2016, 21:15

So far, I'm really liking it. I also like the fact that you have to answer some questions, as simple as they may be, to ensure you actually paid attention to the video/information for each section.
Old 02-20-2016, 16:04

Thanks for posting this. Just signed up for 2 of the courses
Old 02-23-2016, 06:44

I'm going to do the Trench Rescue Awareness course next. While I'd like to have some hands on, right now it just isn't feasible. This allows me to stay fresh on those skills that are low frequency-high risk.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:15

I just finished the trench rescue course. It was an interesting course...
If you have experience already, it'll probably be good. But for someone like me who was getting their first taste of it, I wouldn't recommend the course through Specialized Rescue. I completed the swiftwater rescue awareness one, and that was good, but the trench rescue awareness seems very poorly put together. The slides are very brief with minimal information, and the quizzes at the end of the modules ask for way more info than what was in the module. Unless you know a lot about trench rescue, there's no way you can know all that it is asking. I failed a few the first time, and guessed my way to passing the rest. Some slides say to watch a video, when there is no video. And in some cases, quiz answers contradict the information presented. I had a question in the last module quiz that was repeated word for word in the final 2 minutes later, with a different answer as the correct one. I double checked to make sure I wasn't imagining it.
If you want to learn trench rescue awareness for the first time, I'd steer clear of this one. The swiftwater however is very different and a good course on Specialized Rescue
Old 05-09-2016, 08:22

Glad you brought this up. I was considering taking the course. I'm very interested in rescue training. However, it can be tough to maintain due to a lack of hands on experience.