Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > SECONDARY SECTION > FIREFIGHTER PTSD, JOB STRESS and MENTAL HEALTH

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 00:52

Default Air Force veteranís suicide sheds light on female soldiers and PTSD

http://news.yahoo.com/air-force-vete...144907870.html
Old 03-09-2015, 13:53
desertrunner303

Default Re: Air Force veteranís suicide sheds light on female soldiers and PTSD

Beautiful girl to leave the world at age 30. I hope more people get the help they need before turning to alcohol, drugs or a firearm.
Old 03-09-2015, 15:22

PTSD is a treatable disease. PTSD can hit in all sorts of ways and fashion. Not just on the combat zone but it can creep up in daily life and one stressful situation can trigger the pathway in your brain and short circuit it. If you are already exposed from a family trait of anxiety and depression then this trigger of PTSD can hit you harder. Only time and getting older will calm your nerves and bad thoughts.

Prescription medication really doesn't even work. Would be curious to see what family history plays a part in this suicide tragedy.
Old 03-09-2015, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat2 View Post
If you are already exposed from a family trait of anxiety and depression then this trigger of PTSD can hit you harder. Only time and getting older will calm your nerves and bad thoughts.

Prescription medication really doesn't even work.
What are your references/sources of information on the above statements?
Old 03-09-2015, 20:36
reddevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat2 View Post
PTSD is a treatable disease. Only time and getting older will calm your nerves and bad thoughts.
I guess this wasn't the case for the WW2 vets the Korean war vets and the Vietnam vets. PTSD is only treatable by finding ways to cope with it, will never fully go away.
Old 03-09-2015, 23:33

Any veterans want to weigh in? I don't want to be the first to give my take. Ha
Old 03-10-2015, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubadour View Post
Any veterans want to weigh in? I don't want to be the first to give my take. Ha
PTSD is real, no doubt about that but we need to stop jumping to the PTSD conclusion every time something bad happens with a veteran. Sometimes PTSD is the primary cause, sometimes it is secondary, and sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You never really know who its going to effect and how, but for this individual who never left the wire and did not have a combat job... I just don't know. With my experience with the V.A, Wounded Warrior, and Naval hosp Mental Health I have witnessed more malingerers (fakers) than myself/brothers whom actually need the help. I try not to think about it because I start to feel real anger towards the subject. On the flip side there seems to be a growing trend with misdiagnosing and other mental health issues are clouded by the illusive PTSD.

Last edited by easycompany; 03-10-2015 at 14:23.
Old 03-10-2015, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycompany View Post
PTSD is real, no doubt about that but we need to stop jumping to the PTSD conclusion every time something bad happens with a veteran. Sometimes PTSD is the primary cause, sometimes it is secondary, and sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You never really know who its going to effect and how, but for this individual who never left the wire and did not have a combat job... I just don't know. With my experience with the V.A, Wounded Warrior, and Naval hosp Mental Health I have witnessed more malingerers (fakers) than myself/brothers whom actually need the help. I try not to think about it because I start to feel real anger towards the subject. On the flip side there seems to be a growing trend with misdiagnosing and other mental health issues are clouded by the illusive PTSD.
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a veteran. But it seemed like she WAS in Afghanistan for two tours, which might be enough to affect someone mentally, even if you're not the one shooting the guns. And she WAS already visiting the VA for PTSD treatment. The article also makes the point about females being more emotional than males, which could make them more susceptible to negative effects of a war zone. Either way it is sad and I just hope it is an eye opener for some and will help some others who might be considering the same course of action for themselves.