Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > OFF DUTY AREA (No fire talk)

Old 06-04-2019, 21:54
Guest 1

Default LGBTQ Flag

There have been a few news stories here in my area (Bay area) about High schools potentially flying the LGBTQ flag for the month of June. The City of Dublin is changing its mind on the decision to not fly the flag after public backlash in support of flying the flag.

I dont think cities or schools (government) should have the option to fly that flag. A lot of people support the LGBTQ community including myself; i just dont want it shoved in front of my face.. my business is mine and yours is yours..
Old 06-06-2019, 19:33

Default Re: LGBTQ Flag

I am neutral on the gay rights stuff, not anti or pro. Seems like they won the war and now its time to just chill and move forward with life. Thats cool, youre out and proud, now lets get back to work and everyone live their lives. As for flying the flag, once you give in to one organization, then you have to let all the others follow suit like the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, High School band, Rotary Club, NRA, nude beach...etc... Dublin should just not fold and hold firm on just the standard flags only.
Old 06-06-2019, 20:43

Meanwhile the American flag is a hate symbol.....
Old 06-06-2019, 20:55

Is there, or should there be, a policy to cover this?

How is this being shoved in your face?
Old 06-06-2019, 22:09
Guest 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdz View Post
Is there, or should there be, a policy to cover this?

How is this being shoved in your face?
Im not aware of any policy covering this.

Should there be a policy? Maybe, maybe not. In my opinion government entities should remain neutral and not promote specific groups of private citizens; especially public schools. Parents leave their children in the care and control of government when they drop them off at school. Maybe its not being shoved in my face, but our kids don't really have much of a choice in regards to what they are exposed to.

I realize this can quickly and easily turn into a large debate which is exactly why I think government should remain as neutral as reasonably possible.

When I said “Its shoved in my face” i did not mean it literally... It is difficult in this day and age to speak on a subject such as this without being called homophobic etc. (not saying you did)... but do you see my point? Why stir the pot? Is it governments job to stir the pot? Should they? I don't know.

Its easy to answer the question “why have a gay pride parade in San Francisco or any other City?” Its a little bit harder for me to answer why schools and government offices fly a rainbow flag.

I don't have the answers, just an opinion. My opinion can easily change with a reasonable argument; maybe I just haven't heard it yet.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:34

Doing my part and celebrating....

Old 06-09-2019, 15:17

Hell ya