Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > SECONDARY SECTION > IN MEMORY OF CALIFORNIA'S FALLEN

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 23:00
Super Moderator

Default Larry Schneider, Los Angeles Fire Department, ret.

Larry Schneider spent 63 years in the Fire Service and finally retired from the LAFD when he was 79 years old. He never served in a staff position. His love was for the field, where the rubber met the road, with the men he so loved.

Larry began his career when he was 16 years old during WWII. The LA County Fire Department hired him as an Auxiliary Firemen to augment the Departmentís Manpower during the war. He was hired in 1949 by the Torrance Fire Department. During his time with Torrance he was drafted in to the US Army and served as a Gun Captain on a 155mm antiaircraft battery in Chicago. It was there that he met his future wife. He introduced her sister to one of his brothers and his brother married that sister. So thanks to the US Army and Uncle Larry being assigned to the Chicago area half of our family came into existence!

Upon return from the Army, Larry promoted to the rank of Engineer. He wasnít quite satisfied being with the Torrance Fire Department so in 1954 he hired on with the Los Angeles Fire Department. From 1954 to 2007 he served the citizens of Los Angeles. He loved the LAFD. This man fought more fire than anyone Iíve ever known and always seemed to be where all the action was. His only regret was retiring too soon!

As President of the LA County Fire Museum I often spoke to my Uncle about the history of my own Department. He knew our history like the back of his hand since he literally grew up at LA County Engine 14 where his Father was Captain. Uncle Larry could speak with first hand experience on how to drive and operate a 1922 Seagrave and anything built within the next 50 years. His memory was amazing. Iíve never met another man that could tell you the size of water mains throughout LA City. I could go on forever. Suffice it to say that this man was a legend. A man among men. A leader.

Two quotes I have to relay. He would often state; ďIn all of Americaís great parks youíll not find one statue of a manager!Ē Be a leader!
- OUR DISCLAIMER- The views and opinions posted on this website are solely those of the original authors, news source or registered members. These views and opinions do not represent those of Californiafirefighter.com (CAFF.com), Admin, their advertisers or any associated companies or vendors.
- OUR EMAIL- californiafirefighter@hotmail.com
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37

Default Re: Larry Schneider, Los Angeles Fire Department, ret.

63 years in the fire service! Wow! God speed, Chief.

Last edited by BadKitty; 12-30-2017 at 16:22.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:36

RIP Chief
Old 12-30-2017, 13:10

RIP. Talk about something to strive towards ��
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11

I knew Chief Schneider personally and he is a part of a large fire service career family. He was a true professional and also a compassionate man. RIP Chief!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:31

RIP..
Old 01-06-2018, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normbc9 View Post
I knew Chief Schneider personally and he is a part of a large fire service career family. He was a true professional and also a compassionate man. RIP Chief!

My condolences on the loss of your friend.
Old 01-06-2018, 14:03

RIP...
Old 01-06-2018, 15:16

Rest in peace Chief
Old 01-06-2018, 19:42

RIP Chief.
My comments are my personal opinion, based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice as I am not an attorney and if you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!