Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 14:04

Default Re: 48-96 Pros and Cons?

I've been on 48/96 for a few years and love it. One con is the communication between shifts. For example sometimes something that happened on A shift gets passed onto B shift, but B doesn't necessarily pass that along to C shift. (Not that C shift does anything anyways). Filling out a daily log book has helped. Gotta love the 4 days though, especially when its a weekend and a pay day. When I take a vacation, I usually schedule it during the 4 day, and take the days off before and after it, and make it a 16 day!
Old 05-10-2009, 17:39

We've found that a dry erase board right in the app bay helps pass the word. The only guy who can erase it is the guy who wrote it. That way the other two shifts have no excuse for not reading it.
Old 08-25-2009, 15:37

All you guys are so damn lucky. I used to work 4's and 6's until 16 years ago when my department was contracted out to CalFire. I've been on a 72/96 since then. Ya, three on then four off. Always the same days on, always the same days off. Then to make ends meet we all usually work overtime shifts, imagine how that feels.

Maybe our department will get out of the stone ages one of these days, show that they care for the wellfare of it's firefighters and thier families and adopt a 48/96 (56hr) shift. I'm not holding my breath. Be safe out there!
Old 08-25-2009, 16:10
Dead Mans Party

beerdude- The idea is to test out of that place, not into it. Where did you come from, Banning?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40

Send a message via Yahoo to bikestew22

Howdy,

New to the discussion group. Anyway, I'm a Union FF with a Fire and Rescue District in OR. About 325 line brothers n sisters. Some people would love us to get to a trial period, other people want to punch us for even thinking about it. We currently work a 24/48, have a Kelly day every 15th shift, so that puts us at about a 53 HR work week. Our Union leaders are against the 48/96, which is a bummer because they are Union leaders, and they do a kick ass job. The Union would like to continue hammering for more Kelly days and an eventual "D" shift giving us a 24-72. I'm all for that but don't see how we can get the District to pay for a whole other shift!?!

What I'd like to know is, when other depts. went to the 48/96, how many kelly days did u have? How was OT affected? Did you have to give up anything in CB to switch to the 48/96? To me, it seems like we should not have to sacrifice anything, just alter our hours worked and go be EMS heroes for 48...(hint of sarcasm) Can you imagine, a Kelly period of two shifts off quarterly? You could look on the calendar for the year at your TEN days off every three months and plan some awesome times for whatever... It seems like such a no-brainer to me, but I'm trying to be careful as to not turn anyone off to this schedule. How do I help those opposed see the light?!

Last edited by bikestew22; 04-06-2010 at 18:07. Reason: author
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50

I wasn't around for the old schedule so I don't know how it affected OT other than how it is distributed. I do know that in negotiations, switching to the 48/96 was a no cost issue to the department, so there were no give-backs from our side. We have never had "kelly days", we get paid the money instead of time off. I think most depts. in california do that. Personally, I would rather get the cash than the time off.. I have too much time off than I know what to do with in the first place. It is a no brainer. I can't see how a city/district would ever go for adding a 4th platoon when there is no benefit to them. You would have to take a serious pay cut for that to happen. 24/72 sounds pretty good, but not as good as 48/96.
Old 03-26-2010, 13:55
Bou

bikestew22- The deal is the 48/96 is a straight up work schedule. No need for Kelly Day tracking, a D shift, etc. All of that extra work sounds like too much of a hassle for Labor AND Management.

Convince the troops? Just tell them to talk to anyone who has worked the schedule first hand. There are plenty here and lots of information in the emails I sent you.

Good luck and go with it.
Old 03-26-2010, 16:14

Send a message via Yahoo to bikestew22

Thanks for the input fellas. I don't see us giving up our Kelly Days, but that doesn't mean we can't just bunch them together and use them every three months. I'm feeling that the main thing to overcome is change. I'll use the materials available and keep plugging away, THANX!
Old 03-26-2010, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdude41867 View Post
Maybe our department will get out of the stone ages one of these days, show that they care for the wellfare of it's firefighters and thier families and adopt a 48/96 (56hr) shift. I'm not holding my breath. Be safe out there!
Will never happen unless the state gets flush with cash again. It is a more costly system to have three shifts and is one of the ways that we "save" municipalities money.

Since any downside to the current system is not that obvious to management, thousands apply for Cal Fire jobs, the union is hamstrung and firefighters in many departments across the state are going to be losing pay and beni's, don't count on any changes in your career!

The ex-cop emergency service consultant that has been pushing the 12 hour shift, no OT, no fire stations system is gaining credibility and popularity again and we are going to be lucky to keep what schedules and beni's we have.

Please don't get em wrong, I came for a 48/96 house and LOVED it! Just know that I am never going to see it in my lifetime (but then again, I am an old fart!).
Old 03-30-2010, 14:49

I love the 48-96 I commute 285 miles to work and then back so it gives me time home with my family and a chance to relax..