Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 16:46

Default 24/48 to 48/96

My department in is considering the switch from 24/48 to 48/96. One question that has come up is: Of the departments that have switched from this schedule, what is the percentage in favor to keep the new schedule at the end of your trial? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-15-2011, 17:54

Default Re: 24/48 to 48/96

The initial vote to try the 48/96 barely passed (52% to 48%) after a year trial, we voted to make it our permanent schedule and it passed overwhelmingly (95% to 5%).
Old 09-15-2011, 19:48
Bou

Talk to Snowball on this. He did the 24/48 and went to this schedule. Pretty much no one goes back to their old schedule after the 48/96 trail period.
Old 09-15-2011, 20:51

In my 30+ years in the fire service, I have worked almost every shift schedule you could imagine. The 48/96 was the best schedule I worked. If you live far from your station, you can't beat it. I lived three hours from my duty station and it was great to drive in to work, work my 48 and drive home knowing I'd be home for four days (96 hours).
Old 09-15-2011, 23:25

I haved worked this schedule for the past four years. Previous to that I worked 24 on 24 off for three shifts then 96 off. When my department first started its trial period we were short staffed. This created alot of overtime. The problem at the time was my department had a max number of hours that any one person can be on duty before having to have 12 hours off (it was 84 hours now it is 96). So what was happening was alot of people were working 72 to 84 hour shifts and were not able to enjoy the new schedule. And it created a staffing problem because everyone was at their max hours worked and we still had OT to fill. But this all changed once there were promotions and hirings.

Now for me personally on the old schedule I rested on the off day in between shifts and the first two days of the four day. And then I got stuff done around the house on the last two days of my four day. Now with the 48/96 I take it easy on the first day of my four day and I am golden for the rest of my time off. I have also found that I have alot more time off with my wife(who also works a full-time job) with 48/96 than my old schedule. Some people will say it is a poor schedule if you work at a busy station. Due to call volume and other daily fire house task. This could be true if your station has a call volume in the high double digits without even getting to the other "busy" work. If this is so this is not the schedule for you. But if you run 1 to 12 or so calls on a busy day. Then this schedule is not that bad. My department has given the Captains/Company Officers the authority if they have a busy shift on the first day of the shift, they can take it easy on the "busy" work one the second day of the shift. For me I have been on an engine that runs a average of 8 to 10+ calls a day for service and have been on a few of 8-16 hour incidents. And for each one of those incidents we have taken it easy the second day with full support of the Chief so we can get a little rest. In the end, once all of the little bugs got worked out we voted 95% to 5% in favor of the schedule. It is a great schedule and I would never want to go back to the old schedule.

Now the only piece of advice I would have for you is to figure out the shift calender for at least three years before you start your trial. And then pay close attention to the holidays. Because depending upon what day you start the schedule the same shift could be working Christmas, other major holidays or ALL the holidays multiple years in a row. I say this because it happened to us.

Now I know this is a little more than what you asked for. But I felt the need to tell some of the history and problems that my department faced at the beginning. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-18-2016, 15:33

Yes, I'm resurrecting a VERY old thread.

Why is that so many So Cal departments seem to be with the On/Off/On/Off/On/4-off schedule while most of the NorCal departments are 48/96?

Are there any departments in California that still run 24/48?
Old 05-22-2016, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksdad View Post
Yes, I'm resurrecting a VERY old thread.

Why is that so many So Cal departments seem to be with the On/Off/On/Off/On/4-off schedule while most of the NorCal departments are 48/96?

Are there any departments in California that still run 24/48?
Oakland Fire Runs the X-O-O-X-O-O-X-O-O shift.
Old 05-22-2016, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbag View Post
Oakland Fire Runs the X-O-O-X-O-O-X-O-O shift.
Looking forward to going to this style shift as opposed to the traditional 48/96.....I'll report back.
Old 05-22-2016, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Paramedic View Post
Looking forward to going to this style shift as opposed to the traditional 48/96.....I'll report back.
Whys that? 48/96 seems to be the most popular. I would bet that your busy and live close to work, which I could see that making the other shift more appealing
Old 05-22-2016, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Whys that? 48/96 seems to be the most popular. I would bet that your busy and live close to work, which I could see that making the other shift more appealing
On my 48, I had just shy of a 2 hour commute....having 4 off was nice. On the flip side, getting your A** kicked day one and having another 24 was rough at times.

Never worked the 1 on 2 off....so we'll see. My commute will only be about 35 minutes.