Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 16:38

Send a message via Yahoo to bikestew22
Default Vacation policy help?!?

Hi, has anyone out there that has switched to a 48/96 had a vacation policy that was not seniority based? I work for a district where we have a great VAC policy and have been told that if we want to do the 48/96, we would have to give up our current policy. If I can find another dept that's done it, that would help us out greatly. Please ask around and post a reply. I don't really know why one should affect another, but management is going to always go after our vacation policy for anything that we may want.... anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2012, 18:12

Default Re: Vacation policy help?!?

Bikestew:

What is the vacation policy that management is proposing?

Or, is this a case of management doesn't have a clue other than the rank-and-file should just give up what they have at the moment?
Old 01-21-2012, 22:46
Bou

bikestew22- I am going to assume your department is on a 3 platoon, 56 hour work week. Going to the 48/96 would be the exact same program- 3 platoon, 56 hour work week.

I think all you would have to do is maybe fine tune some existing verbage in the contract and SOPs. I would not give up anything as the work week and hours stay the same. The department also benefits as the sick leave goes down over time.

Good luck
Old 01-22-2012, 00:19

There should be no reason for you to switch your vacation policy to go to a 48/96. LIke Tom and Bou said: Iether they don't know what they are doing or they are trying to put one over on you. Get stats from depts. doing the 48/96 to show that it does not affect vacation taken and DO NOT give up anything. Once you give up a "small" item in the MOU you start down the long slippery slope and will have a tough time getting anything back. I speak from unfortunate experience.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40

Send a message via Yahoo to bikestew22

Hi, thanks for the replies. Still looking to see if anyone has worked anywhere or know someone that works somewhere in a similar situation to mine. Which is: Yes, three platoon, 53 hr work week (kelly day every month and a half). Vacation policy is pretty liberal in comparison to a lot of others. If you enter VAC 14 days in advance, it's guaranteed, we only have to schedule one day of vacation a year based on seniority. You can put in for personal leave 45 minutes prior to your shift and you will get the day off. Accrual rate goes up the longer you work, etc. It's nice as a young guy to have the flexibility and take time off as you need it. I still don't feel that just because our VAC policy is good, that we would have to give it up for a trial of a 48/96. I think management wants to get rid of our vacation policy regardless of what we as a membership would want. It would be helpful for those of us pushing for a trial to show management other depts that have retained their current VAC policy and also trialed a 48/96. Does this make sense? Management wants to save money and gain predictability, naturally. We want to be better rested and have more quality time at home and with family to live our lives in a positive way. I'm assuming that most dept's tha switch to the 48/96 have a seniority based VAC policy and no kelly days. I believe that the 48/96 is a more effective schedule option regardless of VAC policy and or kelly days. Preaching to the choir here, I know. Please ask around and see what you can come up with. Cheers!
Old 01-24-2012, 14:30
Bou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikestew22 View Post
Yes, three platoon, 53 hr work week (kelly day every month and a half).
Bike- Just my opinion, I would give up the Kelly Day and go to the standard 56 hour work week. It would be less work, tracking for both the employee and management. Yes, I know giving up a free day would suck and sounds crazy, but I like crew integrity and the Kelly Day concept is old to me and the straight 48/96 would be worth it as you will get 20 more 4 days year.

Quote:
You can put in for personal leave 45 minutes prior to your shift and you will get the day off.
Just curious how often this happens? Seems like it would impact the operation with a last minute change and might screw someone coming onto work that day with a station assignment, OT, etc.

PS- You need to sell to management that THEY are saving money by paying less OT for sick leave, less cars on the road, more productivity, etc.

Bou