Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > PRIMARY SECTION > 48/96 WORK SCHEDULE

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 17:00

Default Budget Breakdown

Hey guys! I am here for your knowledge! Any of you have a breakdown of how much your department saved by switching to the 48/96? We are so close to getting to switch so we decided that if we can prove that the "Administration" will save they will be more apt to switch. Our department has 45 sworn members, respond to about 4500 calls a yr, 60 square fire response and 200 ems area. Our budget is 7m but just got hit 400k due to an annexation. We have covered how it will save the members money and be more productive but you all know Admin has no care for our wants lol. So, if any of you can get me some breakdowns that your department saved please let me know. THANKS
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36

Default Re: Budget Breakdown

Firemanjerm - The only substantial cost savings our City saw was from sick use dropping. Our Division Chief told me it was substantial but I was never able to get an exact number. I will look into it again to see if I can get you a ballpark estimate.
Old 04-25-2012, 14:07
Bou

^^^ He nailed it. Sick leave usage goes down saving on OT. Also less wear and tear on apparatus and equipment from 50% less morning check outs.
Old 04-25-2012, 15:19

Why would you only check out your rigs once in a 48 hour tour? We check them every morning of our 48 hour tour. Would that same thinking apply to SCBA checks as well? We check em every morning as well.

And we've had a recent sick leave policy change due to our administration's position that the 48/96 has not reduced sick leave use and associated OT costs, and it's their (LMC) attempt to corral sick leave abuse. I don't have any figures to give you, this is just what our management has told us.
Old 04-25-2012, 19:28
Bou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptKev View Post
Why would you only check out your rigs once in a 48 hour tour? We check them every morning of our 48 hour tour. Would that same thinking apply to SCBA checks as well? We check em every morning as well.
From what I have heard or know- Some department's on the 48/96 will only check their apparatus and/or SCBA once in the 48 hour period. After all, youre the only one thats used it and know it's status for that time period.

Quote:
And we've had a recent sick leave policy change due to our administration's position that the 48/96 has not reduced sick leave use and associated OT costs, and it's their (LMC) attempt to corral sick leave abuse. I don't have any figures to give you, this is just what our management has told us.
Interesting. No figures, but any more details or why?
Old 04-28-2012, 22:17

We haven't saved on sick leave use. We did initially and now the numbers are about the same as before on the Kelly. Our dept has a fair amount of overtime and we have saved on holdovers and such with people traveling from one station to another and back for ot shifts. We check our rigs both days but typically the 2nd day is only a quick once over because the rig hasn't changed hands.
Old 04-28-2012, 22:45

Cat:

How long have you been working 48's? How long have you been keeping stats?

Reduced injuries? Reduced workmen's comp cases? Reduced long term leave?

Anyone going home sick on the second day of the 48 where as before people were calling in sick from home before the 24 hour shift started?

Are your people truly sick or just as worn out from working 48's as compared to 24's?
Old 04-30-2012, 22:22

We've been on the schedule for about 3 years now. I dont have accurate numbers as far as the workers comp is concerned. Most sick leave is taken on the first day of the shift when you can enter it in telestaff from home, however people also take the second day off, whether it is just sick leave or sick leave family emergency (another version of sick leave that we have, comes from the same accruals though) We have a large amount of overtime, so most people aren't working the true 48-96. Overall most people like the schedule, issues such as reduced staffing make it hard for some people to actually work the schedule as it was intended.
Old 04-30-2012, 22:51

http://www.fireengineering.com/artic...ternative.html

Bou has already posted the above article on another thread. Make sure you check out the references at the bottom of the article for more information and support.

Both labor and management have to support the schedule to realize the benefits.